Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Teaching Children to "Go to Neutral"

I teach children that feelings can be classified along a continuum from unpleasant (fear) to neutral (calm) to pleasant (love). Just like the saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything." "If you can't have a pleasant emotion, don't FEEL anything." In our society today there is a tendency to always want to be happy, of course that is not realistic. When we are faced with what we perceive as a difficult situation, we typically experience unpleasant feelings. I don't use the terms positive and negative with children because I want them to understand all feelings are okay. I am a very visual person so I use charts like the one pictured here to show the continuum to children. I also have good luck with some kids by having them put their hands out in front of themselves, palms facing, and moving their hands apart (up and down) for first a foot and then two feet. I explain that up a foot is pleasant and down a foot is unpleasant. Then we talk about the space in between being neutral. The good thing about using the hands is you always have them with you. I then teach them to make a positive statement (inside their head) that directs them when they face a difficult situation, "Relax, put your hand up, go to neutral, think pleasant thoughts."

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this idea. I made a similar chart with my kids today to teach them how to properly express their emotions while showing them that it is OK to have unpleasant feelings. This was really helpful. I am linking back to you tomorrow at www.meaningfulmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Blog for Family Health

    ReplyDelete
  3. Invaluable guidance! Teaching kids the 'Go to Neutral' concept fosters emotional resilience and conflict resolution skills crucial for navigating life's challenges with grace and understanding. A must-read!" The Therapy Room Mind Health And Wellness

    ReplyDelete