Thursday, January 21, 2016

Coping Tools Where You Need Them

I am getting ready to wrap up my "Chill" groups for students with anxiety in grades 3-5. We have covered a variety of coping strategies over 10 sessions. The next session I plan to review the skills and have the members decide if they would use a particular skill: Yes Maybe No.  Then for the Yes and Maybe skills I want them to write them on this handout indicating where they would be most useful.  For example, listen to music might help at home or on a trip but talk to a friend usually would occur at school or an extracurricular activity (symbolized by a basketball). Most of the members of my group have what would be labeled as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. If you have GAD you need coping tools wherever you are which is the idea behind this activity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment