Friday, September 29, 2017

Social Skills Groups



I started small groups this week. For my first and second grade social skills group I am using First Steps to Social Success by Diane Senn. There are 25 lessons so I pick 8 lessons for each grade level two from each of the 4 topics covered:

  • Knowing Myself First
  • Initiating with Others
  • Learning Conversation Skills
  • Reading Social Cues: Seeing, Thinking, Doing
For my third and fourth grade I use Senn's Next Steps to Social Success. These resources have good pre-post tests and handout too. I select lessons from the featured topics in Next Steps:
  • Building Friendships
  • Managing Friendships
  • Handling Friendship Problems
  • Social Skills in the Classroom
You could use lessons from both books but I am using them at different grade levels and tracking which lesson I have used. I may need to do a second group later in the year for some of the students and there are still plenty of lesson left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment