Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Recognize - Is it MOO?


One of the hardest part of bullying prevention is for students to be able to recognize if a situation is bullying or it is a lesser problem that kids can solve on their own. This year I have enlisted by cow puppet to teach MOO. Since this is a new strategy I am doing it K-5. In K-1 I have created some basic handouts with a cute cow outline the kids can color and the word recognize. This is my second grade handout featuring the Second Step poster (Help Stop Bullying 3 Rs) and requiring them to fill in the key words strong and respectful. An assertive response is required for most bullying (except perhaps physical). For the upper grades I add an additional O for one-sided and talk about fairness and negative power. The teachers and students have all enjoyed my first lessons of the year about bullying featuring Mean, On purpose, Over and over (and One-sided). I always send the Home Link Handout provided by Second Step that informs parents about our bullying program and gives suggestions how they can practice refusal skills at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment