Saturday, November 1, 2014

November is National Adoption Awareness Month

Both of my own children are adopted so I relate to this image. We also have many adopted children in my school that I work closely with their families. I also consult with teachers about how to address adoption with their students. For example, we have a new program in our school where Spanish is taught 3 times a week to all students.  They have a big unit on families and require students to do family trees for homework.  This type of assignment is often a trigger for adoptive families.  I encouraged them to teach more inclusive family terms and provide an alternative assignment if students felt uncomfortable with doing a family tree.  For resources to use in schools go to childwelfare.gov/adoption/adopt_parenting/school/teachers.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment