Sunday, September 4, 2016

Back to School Books

Read alouds make children feel comfortable sharing and making connections to characters in text. These are a few of my favorite books about starting the new school year. It is a good time to introduce concepts about feelings that build empathy and emotion regulation. You can talk about pleasant and comfortable feelings the characters had (and the children willing to share about themselves) and unpleasant and uncomfortable feelings. Typical pleasant feelings about starting school are excited, happy, surprised and unpleasant include scared, nervous, worried, and disappointed. You can also teach the concept that feelings change over time by pointing out how characters felt the day before school starting vs. after the first day. I place books related to my "theme" of the month on the ledge of my white board so they are handy to grab if I need one or a teacher wants to borrow a book related to the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment