Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Yoga for Small Groups and Classroom Warm-ups


This year I made the effort to incorporate music into small group sessions and classroom lessons. My goal for next school year is to use more yoga to improve self-regulation, body awareness, and focus. I like this book about incorporating yoga into the classroom that applies five principles: Stillness, Listening, Grounding, Strength, and Community. It also utilizes the Hoberman sphere (which I have in my office) to establish the correct rhythm of breathing and for small groups to gather around and hold onto as they do activities like a compliment game. I also plan to use more chair yoga because the students could practice them on their own when they need to regulate themselves once they know how to do the poses. There are free chair yoga resources available at kidsyogastories.com/ My favorite yoga pose to teach children is Eagle because it involves crossing the mid-line which helps children focus, attend, and learn better in the classroom. Learn about mid-line exercises at crossing-the-midline-activities

No comments:

Post a Comment