Friday, April 20, 2018

Adapting Superflex Social Thinking Curriculum to Small Group




After using the Superflex Social Thinking Curriculum for several years to help students who have difficulty with flexible thinking, I finally transformed it into an effective small counseling group for my students in grade 2-4. socialthinking.com Flexible thinking lets children shift gears and think about things in different ways. This executive skill is a key part of problem solving. Many kids with learning and attention issues have trouble with flexible thinking. To learn more about flexible thinking check out flexible-thinking-what-you-need-to-know Many students with ADHD benefit from this curriculum.
First, it is important to start with Social Smarts and reviewing expected and unexpected behavior before starting in and teaching the characters. I divided the Superflex positive powers, Unthinkables, and strategies by grade level so that students could return to the group for up to 3 years if they still need help with this important executive functioning skill. Second graders need the back ground in social thinking and a gradual introduction to flexible thinking. I only introduce a few of the characters and focus on the skills. In fact what is most valuable about this curriculum is the skills. I also added a few additional strategies and skills because the Curriculum repeats the same strategies a lot. For example, for Worry Wall in grade 3 I added the Feeling Thermometer and emphasize coping thoughts. In grade 4 I added I statements and the Win-Win model to teach specific strategies to solve conflicts to "defeat" Destroyer of Fun.
Due to the large demand for groups at my school and not enough counseling time, I always keep my groups to 8 sessions. I send home information to parents about what is taught and communicate the strategies the students are learning to both the general and special education teachers. I also modify many of the handouts so they are more a way to practice the strategy instead of learn about the character.
We use Second Step as our tier 1 social emotional curriculum and I feel for students who need more this is an effective tier 2 intervention. For some of my tier 3 or students identified as needing SPED I have worked thorough the program individually, then added them to a group when they could be successful.  For example, I did the grade 2 curriculum with a student with Autism and then he was able to join the group in grade 3. 



3 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog!!!! Love this!!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this, like how you organized by grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this curriculum and am OVERWHELMED. This break down is amazing, but I have a few questions! Is it possible to reach out to you?

    ReplyDelete