Sunday, May 20, 2018

Children's Books About Gender Identity

A 2016 study looked at students in ninth and 11th grade and estimated that nearly 3 percent identify as transgender or gender nonconforming more-u-s-teens-identify-transgender-survey  Youth often express non-conforming or “atypical” gender behavior by kindergarten or earlier. While gender variance is common in individuals of all ages, gender non-conforming behavior in pre-adolescents is particularly visible. Obviously these children have lots of questions and they are particularly vulnerable to peer rejection and even bullying. If you need more information on this topic check out  genderdiversity.org/best-practices-schools/elementary/

Pictured above are some very sensitive picture books which counselors should have available to help normalize and guide gender-diverse youth and their peers.  

My Princess Boy (Kilodavis)
Introducing Teddy (Walton)
Red: A Crayon's Story (Hall)
I Am Jazz (Herthel & Jennings)

The elementary counselors in my district (about 30 of us) reviewed a several books on gender identity and expression and felt these would be a good fit with our community.  We each use them in our school in whatever way is needed. It could be in a classroom, individual counseling, or as a resource for families. 
If you want to see more go to jocolibrary.bibliocommons.com/list

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone.  I want to share my amazing experience with the great spell caster Dr Mark my husband was cheating on me and when I found out we had a fight which lead him filling for a divorce I cried and fell sick when I was searching about love quotes online I saw people talking about Dr Mark and his great work whose case was similar to mine they left his contact info I contacted Dr Mark and he told me not to worry that after 24 hours he will cancel the divorce and my husband will be back to me after I did everything he asked me to do to my greatest surprise the next day evening it was my husband he knelt down begging me to accept him back, thank you once again Dr Mark you are indeed a blessing to me he can also help you. contact Dr Mark through his email address on: blessedlovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete