Sunday, November 13, 2011

Veterans Day

As this weekend winds down I wonder if schools should be in session on Veterans Day so educators can help students understand the significance of this holiday. I know we make sure to include the military as career visitors to our lower grades and participants at our career fair for upper grades during National Career Development Month. Some of our teachers did a great job with special activities on Thursday since we were off Friday. I watched two very moving tributes to the service veterans and their families provide our country over the weekend. I hope some of the students in my school watched as well. Citizenship is one of the character traits we teach at our school and is obviously a trait all those who have served value. As counselors we need to be sure we model respect for the sacrifices made by our veterans and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment