Sunday, January 7, 2018

Flexible Seating


Our whole school offers students flexible-seating options to assist with self regulation. It is a good fit with our Responsive Classroom approach. Children have different needs and preferences. When students come for individual counseling I let them sit anywhere they want: 1) on the floor; 2) in a bean bag chair; 3) on an exercise ball; 4) on a wobble stool; and 5) in a chair with an exercise band. To introduce the seating options for my small groups I use interactive modeling to set clear expectations and then we review them with anchor charts. I have 3 sizes of the wobble stool and it I have to remind students they must be able to have their feet flat on the floor to use a wobble stool to be a safe choice.  If students are not using the flexible options appropriately (spinning on stools or kicking the bands loudly) I just say they have made a choice not to use that option for the remainder of the group session. Fortunately I have only had one student throw a fit when asked to move to a chair.  I like having similar choices and expectations in my office as in our classrooms so I can help students figure out what works for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment