Monday, January 1, 2018

New Years Resolutions

If you are writing New Years Resolutions or plan to have students do so when school resumes tomorrow, do not send the message "new year, new me."  It is much more likely people will carry through with resolutions if they build on something they are already doing. Other keys to  resolutions include: a) think small; b) be specific; c) be realistic; and d) have a plan to deal with obstacles. For example, I wear a Fitbit 24 hours a day. Currently my daily goal is 15,000 steps a day. My resolution for the New Year is 16,000 a day.  If by 6 pm I am not to my goal I will begin a specific workout to add steps. I like resolutions to focus on more than one area of life. Most people can commit to adding one event a month to build family or friend ties. I also like a resolution about adding something meaningful to a person's life like a new friend, a trip to somewhere new, or trying out a new activity. It is important to write down resolutions and review them frequently. I would recommend at least once a week for the first 3 months of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment