Friday, February 20, 2015

A Bug and a Wish



I was very please when "A Bug and a Wish" by K. Scheuer was published in 2014.  I have taught the Bug and Wish strategy to students for years but it is always nice to have a book that shows how to apply the strategy directly as the stimulus for the session or lesson.  I borrowed the bug cut outs from The Learning Tree idea that is on Pinterest; however, on the wing on the right I had them say what they want the other person to do.  For example, in the book the boy says "It BUGS me when you tease me, and I WISH 
you would stop." I don't read it that way, instead I break it in 3 parts: It BUGS me - when you tease me - I want you to say nice things or don't talk to me." After we read and discuss the book (the illustrations are very expressive of the feelings the characters are experiencing), I give each student a premade bug. On one wing they write "It BUGS me", on the white circle they write a conflict they have, and on the other wing they write the words that say what they want to happen instead.  For example, one of my students wrote "It bugs me when you wreck my legos, and I want you to keep your hands off my legos." I did this activity this quarter with kindergarten students in friendship groups. I think it would fit better with grade 1 students who have a little better writing skills.  I always have the students say their idea out loud first because if it is serious (big deal) problem this is not the right strategy.  For example if they say what bugs them is someone hitting them, we talk about that is something that needs to be reported to an adult.  This strategy is for (little deal) kid size problems.  I hand their bugs in my office until the group ends and then send them home with all the work from the group.  The craft really helps them remember the strategy and they love these cute bugs. When the bugs go home I send a note to parents about the strategy so they can reinforce it at home.  I also share it with teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment