Monday, March 2, 2015

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! My Many Colored Days

This is my favorite Dr. Seuss book with no words on the actual cover (the publisher put the title on the book jacket).  It is a great stimulus book for a lesson on feelings K-grade 2.  There are a wide variety of art and writing responses after reading and discussing the link between feelings and color.  It is easy to trace the little person and make an outline for handouts.  You can ask students "What color is your day?" and they can color the person and write something about it.  You can also make an anchor chart that shows common matches for colors and feelings adding some that are not in the book.  If I use this with kindergarten this week I have them fill in the blanks " ____ makes me feel _________."  With first grade I have them may why so the model is "____ makes me feel ________ because ________." For example, blue makes me feel calm because it reminds me of being at the ocean and relaxing. For other ideas to use with the book check out my-many-colored-days or teachkidsart.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment